sample use case templateexample test plan templateProject plan template
ICS 121: UML Deployment Diagrams
- What are deployment diagrams?
- Elements of deployment diagram
What are deployment diagrams?
- A deployment diagram shows the software components that will run
on each machine in a distributed system.
- A single-user desktop application has just one node,
with all components on that node.
- A three-tier web application has three distinct nodes: a
front-end web server, an application server, and a database
server. There is also the browser running on an end-user client
- For ASP software: the vendor knows the specific servers that
will be used
- For software on CD, deployment diagrams describe the roles
played by each machine. E.g., MS Exchange runs on my server and
Outlook runs many client machines.
Elements of Deployment Diagrams
- Node: represents a computer. Drawn as a 3-D box.
- Connection: represents a communication channel between machines.
Drawn as a straight line.
- Component: represents a software component. Drawn as a box with
smaller boxes on left edge.
- Dependency: indicates that one component makes use of another
component. Drawn as dashed line with a stick arrowhead.