sample use case templateexample test plan templateProject plan template
ICS 121: Mini-Project List
- Antelope is a graphical user interface for running Ant (an
automated build system that we will learn, see slides for week 7).
- CruiseControl is a tool for periodically running automated builds
on a dedicated server and producing a web page with reports. This is
useful for nightly builds. See slides for week 7.
- GanttProject is a simple project management tool that helps
schedule a set of tasks that may depend on each other. It is
an open source alternative to MS Project.
- ViewCVS is a web application that allows users to browse (but not edit)
a CVS repository, including the history of every file in the repository.
- JUnitDoclet is a code generation utility that scans your program
source code and generates a set of template JUnit test classes. That
makes it easier to use JUnit because you need only fill in the
templates. We will cover JUnit in week 8.
- CVS Search
- CVSSearch searches for code fragments using CVS comments. It can
be more useful than simple searching code in your local working copy
because it also searchs past versions of each source code file.
- HttpUnit is a system test automation tool for web applications.
It is like JUnit, but rather than testing individual units (classes),
it tests the entire system. We will cover system test automation in
- Doxygen is similar to JavaDoc, but it works with several
programming languages. We will cover JavaDoc in week 9.
- Grinder is another load testing tool for web applications.
- Mantis is a bug tracking system: a database of defects found
in a project and information about how the development team will work
- JMeter 1
- Apache JMeter is designed to load test functional behavior and
measure performance. It was originally designed for testing web
applications but has since expanded to other test functions.
- Torque 1
- Torque is a code generator that reads an XML specification of a
database, and then generates SQL to implement that database and Java
code to access the database.
- CodeStriker 1
- Codestriker is an open-sourced web application which supports
online code reviewing. E.g., two developers can review code on-line
and make a list of questions and comments about the quality of the code.
- Tidy 1
- Tidy helps find and fix errors in HTML files.
- CheckStyle 1
- Checkstyle is a development tool to help programmers write Java
code that adheres to a coding standard. It automates the process of
checking Java code to spare humans of this boring (but important)
task. This makes it ideal for projects that want to enforce a coding standard.
- FAQ-O-Matic 1 2
- The Faq-O-Matic is a web application that automates the process
of maintaining a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions list).
- LinkLint 1 2
- LinkLint searches web sites to find broken hyperlinks.
- Xerlin 1 2
- Xerlin is an xml editor. Rather than edit an xml file as plain
text, it presents a tree view of the nested XML elements. This makes
the xml structure more clear and prevents certain types of errors
(e.g., forgetting to add a closing tag).
- JEdit 1 2 3
- jEdit is a mature and well-designed programmer's text editor. It
has plug-ins for a variety of programming languages and utilities.
It can also be viewed as a simple IDE.
- Jalopy 1 2 3
- Jalopy is a java source code beautifier. It parses java source
code and automatically formats it nicely. Automatic source code
formatting can ease code understanding, help focus code reviews, and
streamline the use of version control tools.